image from 80scartoonpodcast.com
EVERYONE: Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last 20+ years, you should know who Mario is. Through various incarnations of games, television, and merchandise, Mario has left a huge mark on the world.
However, there are some things you may not know about this plumber. So I now present to you: 10 Things You May Not Know About Mario!!!
1) MARIO WAS A VILLAIN: In the original Donkey Kong, Mario’s name was actually Jumpman and Donkey Kong was his angry escaped pet. Why was DK angry? Well the game description booklet claims that he was caged and abused by Jumpman. He reprises his villainous role in Donkey Kong Jr. when he captures the original DK while Jr. is trying to rescue his daddy.
2) MARIO WAS A LANDLORD?: Legend has it that the name Mario came from the first name of Nintendo Headquarters landlord, Mario Legasi.
3) MARIO MARIO?: Mario’s last name is Mario. Which makes him Mario Mario and his brother Luigi Mario.
4) NOT A SEQUEL: Super Mario Bros. 2 is actually a remake of another Nintendo game called Doki Doki Panic. Also Mario 2 is a dream sequence.
5) SHAKESPEAREAN: Super Mario Bros. 3 is also not really a sequel, but actually a retelling of the original story. If you pay attention to the opening scene, theater curtains open up revealing a very flat background as if they were painted wood cutouts.
6) IT’S A MAD WORLD: Mario creator Shigeru Myamoto based the idea of the game on Alice in Wonderland.
7) COLOR SWAP: Originally Mario’s overalls were Red and his shirt was Blue. Today those colors have been flipped.
8) WEIGHT WATCHER: Over the years Mario has become a lot slimmer than his original self. This is because Nintendo’s designers felt that Mario would better role model to children if he was thinner.
9) NATURAL ATHLETE: Mario has had various sports games including cart racing, tennis, baseball, soccer, and he even went to the Olympics.
10) MURDERER?!?: In the booklet for the original game, it states that King Koopa turned the mushroom people into bricks. And what does Mario punch to get coins? Bricks. That’s right, Mario kills mushroom people and steals their money.
So yeah. Betcha didn’t know a lot of that. Let’s see if your gaming experience differs at all.
Now you know, and knowing’s half the battle
Sound off below with your comments OR suggest the next topic.